Fun in the Kitchen with Dr. Peggy
Carrot and Applesauce Gingerbread Muffins
It’s fall and it’s the time of year when it gets cooler outside and I get the urge to cook and bake especially with the spices that remind me of the fall.
Today’s recipe is a delicious and healthy muffin that is gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free and dairy free.
It has been a big hit at my house this week!
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup organic applesauce
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, molasses and maple syrup together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in coconut flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- Stir in carrots, applesauce and raisins
- Line muffin tins with papers and scoop in ¼ cup of mixture
- Bake for 35-40 min
- Combine all frosting ingredients until smooth and frost muffins once they are cool.
Recipe adapted from Diane Sanfilippo’s Practical Paleo
Dr. Peggy Malone is a Chiropractor and an Athlete who helps other athletes to overcome injury and get back to their sport. Her weekly Television Series 'Living Well" inspires people from all walks of life to take control of their health to be as happy and as healthy as they can be.
A former varsity Basketball and Rugby player, she has since entered the world of endurance athletics where she has completed 2 Ironman Triathlons, 3 Marathons, several Half Marathons and many other Triathlons, Road Races and Off-Road Adventure races of varying distances.
Her own athletic endeavors and injuries have given her valuable insight into working with athletes in her practice for both the care of injuries as well as for the improvement of athletic performance.