Fun in the Kitchen with Dr. Peggy
Carrot and Applesauce Gingerbread Muffins
It’s fall and it’s the time of year when it gets cooler outside and I get the urge to cook and bake especially with the spices that remind me of the fall.
Today’s recipe is a delicious and healthy muffin that is gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free and dairy free.
It has been a big hit at my house this week!
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup organic applesauce
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, molasses and maple syrup together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in coconut flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- Stir in carrots, applesauce and raisins
- Line muffin tins with papers and scoop in ¼ cup of mixture
- Bake for 35-40 min
- Combine all frosting ingredients until smooth and frost muffins once they are cool.
Recipe adapted from Diane Sanfilippo’s Practical Paleo