Moving your body regularly is one of the best things that you can do for your health. In previous posts, I have emphasized that the human body is a perfect motion machine. It is designed to move; to run and jump and hunt and gather. Our current modern day world has taken many of us away from the motion that our body needs.
Getting your body moving through a regular exercise program has more benefits than you think.
Here are 43 of the advantages that a regular exercise program can bring to your health and wellness…
1) Reduced stress and tension
2) Increased energy to manage your day to day routine
3) Pain relief
4) A stronger immune system: Exercise is a natural defence against colds and flu viruses.
5) Increased good cholesterol (HDL-High Density Lipoprotein)
6) Reduced depression
7) Prevention of and reduced incidence of Low Back Pain
8 ) Blood Pressure levels that are improved and regulated
9) Improved co-ordination and balance
10) Decreased risk of stroke and heart disease
11) Decreased risk of Type II Diabetes and more controlled blood sugar levels.
12) Increase bone density and decreased risk of Osteoporosis
13) Decreased risk of breast and colon cancers
14) Improved respiratory function
15) Increase mental alertness and focus
16) Enhanced ability to relax and sleep
17) Reduced triglyceride levels and gives the body the ability to more effectively burn fat
18) Aid in alleviating varicose veins
19) Decreased menstrual cramps
20) Improvement in skin tone
21) Enhanced sex life
22) Increase in flexibility
23) Improved joint health including increased range of motion
24) Toned and firm muscles with more definition
25) Increased strength and endurance
26) Increased lean muscle mass (which begins to decline at an alarming rate of up to 2% a year after age 35)
27) Increased athletic performance
28) Decreased resting heart rate
29) Enhanced heart function including higher cardiac output
30) Increased speed of muscle contraction and reaction time
31) Improved posture
32) Weight loss, decrease in obesity
33) Improved chances of keeping the weight off after you lose it
34) Increased cravings for healthier foods
35) Improved digestion
36) Improved social interaction with exercise group
37) The challenge and achievement of a goal
38) Heightened self esteem and self image
39) Reduced number of ‘sick’ days
40) Reduced chance of a fatal heart attack
41) Reduced risk of premature death
42) Increased length of life
43) Overall improvement of quality of life
It is never to late to experience the benefits of regular exercise. Even if you are 85 or even 95, if you start a regular exercise program (under the guidance of a health care professional please) you can see massive benefits in many areas of your health and wellness and most importantly in your overall quality of life.
I’ve written in previous posts about the benefits of moving your body every day. If you need another reminder as to why you should be exercising, I have just given you 43. If you can add to the list, I would love it if you would comment below and give me your exercise benefit!
Your body will thank you and your overall well-being will be improved as a result.
Dr. Peggy Malone is a Chiropractor and an Athlete who helps other athletes to overcome injury and get back to their sport. She also inspires patients from all walks of life to take control of their health to be as happy and as healthy as they can be.
A former varsity Basketball and Rugby player, she has since entered the world of endurance athletics where she has completed 2 Ironman Triathlons, 3 Marathons, several Half Marathons and many other Triathlons, Road Races and Off-Road Adventure races of varying distances.
Her own athletic endeavors and injuries have given her valuable insight into working with athletes in her practice for both the care of injuries as well as for the improvement of athletic performance.