Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes
By: Dr. Peggy Malone
Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes? It seems like maybe the concept of such a thing would be better suited as a fictional character in a science fiction novel or something that only mythological beings could eat. They can’t be real and delicious can they? Read on my friend…..there is good news 🙂
I’ve been eating and cooking and baking paleo styles (mostly) for a couple of years now and the one thing that has always been a challenge is not being able to dig into those beautiful delicious cupcakes that you see at birthday parties.
This recipe to the rescue!! These chocolate cupcakes turned out amazing I am so happy to report.
These paleo chocolate cupcakes are a little denser than your average cupcake but they taste delicious and have no refined sugar, no dairy, no gluten and no grain!
That birthday party craving for something a bit sweet, beautiful and delicious is totally satisfied by these paleo chocolate cupcakes and will keep you on track with eating real, healthy ingredients!
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 large pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup high cocoa % chocolate chips (70% or greater)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line muffin pans with paper liners
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Melt coconut oil and honey in a sauce pan on the stove
- Mix eggs and vanilla in a bowl and beat well
- Slowly add the honey and coconut oil mixture to the egg mixture
- Once the wet ingredients are mixed, slowly add them to the dry ingredients while beating with a mixer
- Pour batter into lined muffin tins
- Bake for 16-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry
- In a saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate, coconut oil and honey together
- Stir in vanilla extract
- Transfer to mixing bowl and place frosting in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to thicken
- Remove from refrigerator and whip frosting with a hand blender until thick and fluffy
- Use a spatula to frost the cupcakes!
Enjoy!Dr. Peggy Malone is a Chiropractor and an Athlete who helps other athletes to overcome injury and get back to their sport. Her weekly Television Series 'Living Well" inspires people from all walks of life to take control of their health to be as happy and as healthy as they can be.
A former varsity Basketball and Rugby player, she has since entered the world of endurance athletics where she has completed 2 Ironman Triathlons, 3 Marathons, several Half Marathons and many other Triathlons, Road Races and Off-Road Adventure races of varying distances.
Her own athletic endeavors and injuries have given her valuable insight into working with athletes in her practice for both the care of injuries as well as for the improvement of athletic performance.