Fun in the Kitchen with Dr. Peggy
Grain Free Sweet Potato Pancakes
These pancakes are an awesome gluten free, grain free, dairy free and refined sugar free option for breakfast or even dinner! They are soooo tasty!
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I used hazelnut almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 eggs
- coconut oil for cooking the pancakes
- Boil and mash the sweet potato
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the sweet potato, nut butter and 4 egg yolks
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until they stand up on their own then fold them into the sweet potato batter (will allow for fluffier pancakes)
- Use coconut oil in a fry pan over medium heat to cook the pancakes. The batter will be stickier than traditional grain pancakes so you may have to spread it out a little and be careful when flipping… they are delicate!
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!
Quite tasty! I didn’t beat the egg whites separately and they cooked up nicely. I used more cinnamon, added ginger & a chopped Jonagold apple. I think the apple added a touch of sweetness and it didn’t need maple syrup, especially once topped with yogurt & strawberries.
Sounds amazing KT!!
This sounds delicious! But, I can’t eat nuts 🙁 Is there any substitution that would work for the nut butter?
Thanks so much! Love your posts!
You could just do the sweet potato with eggs and leave the nut butter out. You could also substitute coconut butter (aka coconut manna) Let me know how it turns out if you try one of these options.